En Español

Filing a Grievance

What to do if you have a grievance

Grievance Logo Grievance Logo

If you are unhappy with the care or treatment you receive at your dialysis clinic or transplant center, or if you have a grievance about your care, you have the right to file a grievance with the ESRD Network or the Texas Department of State Health Services. Here's how to file your grievance:

  1. First—try to talk to your nurse, doctor, or social worker about the problem. It is possible there is a simple explanation. Even if there is not a simple explanation, it may be possible for you and the clinic to work out a solution to the problem that could result in better care for you and other patients.
  2. Next—if talking does not resolve the problem, or if you feel you cannot discuss your problem with the staff at your clinic, you can go directly to the regional administrator or even the corporate office of your dialysis company or transplant unit. The names and phone numbers of these people should be posted in the waiting room of you clinic.
  3. If none of the above actions work, if you feel your clinic or corporation cannot help you, or you don’t feel safe or comfortable talking to them, call one of the Toll Free numbers below for help.

Texas Department of State Health Services
(888) 973-0022


The ESRD Network of Texas
(877) 886-4435

If you contact the Network for help, WE CAN:

  • Give you names and phone numbers of people you can speak to at your clinic's corporate offices.
  • Give you information about Medicare regulations and your rights under Medicare.
  • Contact the clinic and conduct a confidential investigation into your grievance, which may include one or more of the following actions:
    • Requesting medical records
    • Interviewing staff members or patients and asking for details about a grievance
    • If necessary, visiting a clinic in person
    • Confidential means we will not tell anyone at the facility or clinic your name, unless you give us permission to do so.
    • For additional information referencing Anonymous Patient Complaints and Grievances click here 

If you contact the Network for help, WE CANNOT:

  • Force a clinic or doctor to accept a patient.
  • Guarantee you can choose which staff members put your needles in.
  • Change or get involved in anything that has to do woth personnel policies and procedures.
  • Get a doctor, nurse or patient care technician "fired" or transferred.