AIM 1: Better Care for the Individual through Beneficiary and Family Centered Care
- Promote patient and family engagement through fostering patient and family engagement at the facility level, involving patients/families in CMS Meetings and convening a Patient Engagement Learning and Action Network (LAN).
- Improve patient experience of care through evaluating and resolving grievances, promoting use of In-Center Hemodialysis Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (ICH CAHPS) and/or any similar survey identified by CMS, and address issues identified through data analysis.
- Assist with patient-appropriate access to in-center dialysis care, decrease Involuntary Discharges (IVDs) and Involuntary Transfers (IVTs), address patients at risk for IVD/IVT and failure to place and report to CMS on access to dialysis care monthly.
- Improve vascular access management, improve arteriovenous (AV) fistula rates for prevalent patients, reduce catheter rates for prevalent patients, support facility vascular access reporting, spread best practices, provide technical support in the area of vascular access and recommend sanctions to CMS for failure to improve.
- Improve patient safety through reduction of Healthcare-Acquired Infections (HAIs), support the National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN), establish HAI LAN, and reduce rates of Dialysis Facility Events.
- Facilitate patient and family knowledge of transplantation and organ donation and appropriate referrals for transplantation options.
- Facilitate patient and family knowledge of home therapy and referrals for home dialysis.
For information about the availability of auxiliary aids and services, please visit: http://www.medicare.gov/about-us/nondiscrimination/nondiscrimination-notice.html
Patient-Centered Care & Patient Engagement Webinars
- Nothing About Me Without Me - Medical Education Institute (MEI)
- Nothing About Me Without Me Webinar Recording (Requires Windows Media Player) - Medical Education Institute (MEI)
- "e-Patient Dave" Webinar Slides - 09/2013
- "e-Patient Dave" Network #14 Webinar Slides - ESRD Network of Texas - 09/2013
- Patient-Centered Care Training Module - Academy for Educational Development and the Mid-Atlantic Renal Coalition
Patient and Family Groups
Patient Engagement Learning & Action Network (PE LAN) - ESRD Network of Texas
- Patient & Family Group Staff Training Handout - 2014
- Patient & Family Group Staff Training PowerPoint - 2014
- Quality of Life Patient Handout - English - Spanish - 2014
- Patient- and Family-Centered Care Patient Handout - English - Spanish - 2014
- Facility Tips for Creating Patient and Family Support Groups - Renal Support Network
- Creating Patient and Family Advisory Councils - Institute for Patient- and Family-Centered Care (IPFCC)
- Creating Patient & Family Advisory Councils - ESRD Network of Texas
- Support Group Guidebook - Resource from the AAKP
- Versions of Patient Groups - Leanne Peace, MSW, LCSW, MHA - Annual Dialysis Conference 2013
- Using Plain Language - ESRD Network of Texas
- Plan of Care Meetings - ESRD Network of Texas
- Caring Communication Article - Wendy Leebov
Patient Engagement Process for QAPI & Governing Board Committees
- Three Part Process for Facilities - ESRD Network of Texas
- Patient Notes for QAPI - ESRD Network of Texas
For questions on patient involvement in QAPI and/or Governing Board Committees or to provide feedback to the Network on resources please contact Kelly Shipley at email@example.com.