"Ethical issues relating to renal replacement therapy are drawing increasing attention within the nephrology community.... Inadequate knowledge about the disease state and an individual patient's rights can lead to conflicts between all concerned parties. Most of these conflicts could be avoided if each patient (and family) and physician had clear and effective avenues of communication and full understanding of the medical situation."
- Excerpt from Ethical issues in the care of the patient with end-stage renal disease, Dash & Mailloux, 2013
Professional Ethics Resources
- Shared Decision Making in the Appropriate Initiation of and Withdrawal from Dialysis - Renal Physicians Association (RPA)
- ESRD Patient Solicitation - RPA/Forum of ESRD Networks Position - 12/2011
- End-of-Life Decision-Making and the Role of the Nephrology Nurse - American Nephrology Nurses' Association (ANNA)
- Office of Ethics and Professional Review (OEPR) - National Association of Social Workers (NASW)
- Code of Ethics in Dietetics - Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics